Monday, January 16, 2006

Day 19 / 20

Position 16 January 2006 1900 GMT 17 degrees 11 mins North 57 degrees 01 mins West. Only 269.7 nautical miles to go. We are really starting to get excited now as in a few days we will be feeling Caribbean sand between our toes and tasting a rum cocktail or two. We heard from friends who arrived a few weeks ago to say they were anchored with their boat tied off to a coconut tree - how very cool! Well since we wrote our missing chapter someone out there is trying to prove us wrong. We had two days of sailing with full sails in 15-18 knots of wind with clear skies, no squalls and a gentle rolling sea - we have even been sitting night watch in shorts & t-shirt (without foulies). Then as of the early hours today the wind died and we were down to 3 knots of boat speed so we put the engine on and have been motoring in flat calm for the last 10 hours. This is great as all our batteries are fully charged, we have filled our water tanks and have had a lovely lazy day in the sun. We did take the opportunity to top up the fuel tanks with our three jerry cans while the sea was calm - so we also have a full tank of fuel. The first boat on our net arrived this morning at an island called Bequia, west of Barbados, south of St Vincent. The net has got very cheery as people are getting near to their destinations and the weather is improving.

My thoughts from my perfect night watch 14 January - The Perfect Night Watch - 0000 to 0300 GMT, wind East 15-20, sky clear with just the odd cloud and full moon, wearing fouly leggings and t-shirt, bare feet, boat speed 6 knots. On a night like this you have time to think like you never usually do in life. I just ate an orange - it took me 20 minutes to peel and eat it properly. I peeled it like my Gran used to - take the whole skin off in one piece without any breaks. I made an awful mess but is tasted so much better than just cutting it into quarters. Usually I wouldn't bother with an orange or peeling it properly but is really was fab. The moon is so bright I am writing this in the moonlight (now copied up) It is huge and you can clearly see the man in the moon. It is directly behind the boat streaming moon beams across ReVision II's wake and lighting up the ocean rolling behind us. Only the brightest of the stars shine through the moonlight. I cannot see my faithful plough tonight - I must check my star book to see if it's left us or if it's just too bright. (Insert picture I drew of RII and the man in the moon - very good - honest). I read the title of a book today - Home is Where the Boat Is. This really struck a chord as I can't get away from thoughts about the couple who abandoned their home last night - First Light. All the things you would have to leave bobbing around in the ocean, all the memories and sentimental things we collect on the way as we travel and all the wonderful gifts from other cruisers. All the equipment and gadgets collected so carefully all in full working order but just attached to a boat that cannot steer. They must have been SO desperate and sad that they could not save their home, their boat that looked after them. I give them my thoughts this beautiful night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home